Learn more about product types and ways to manage them. In this article, we’ll discuss how to create, edit, and import product types.
Product Types Explained
Product Types is a product categorization tool. After a product is created, it can be assigned to a product type and filtered by type.
Users can also use product types as templates to store default categories for each channel. Mapping different channels to a product type can facilitate the channel listing process.
Create a Product Type
- To create a product type, go to Catalog > Product Types.
- Click the action menu at the bottom right corner > Create.
- Enter a type name.
- If applicable, select categories and templates for Amazon, Buy.com, eBay, Sears, or Newegg.
Manage Product Types
You can also search and manage product types.
- Go to the main Product Types page > Search.
- Select a product type and press the Action button at the bottom corner to manage it.
- You can delete, download, export, or import product types. You can also Reload Product Defaults for Selected Types, which will allow you to update SKUs with the product type specifics. A job will be scheduled.
- You can also click on a product type and open it to edit the information needed.
Custom Columns can be linked to Product Types. The Client Setting Filter custom columns to be per product type must be enabled.
The product custom columns that were enabled by default will no longer be visible, so you will have to specify them for each Product Type when you edit it. Note that only the columns specified for that product type will display on the product that is using it.
Import Product Types
You can also import product types to create them in bulk.
- On the Product Types page, click on the Action menu at the lower-right corner, and select Download Import Product Types Template.
- Populate it with the appropriate information and save it.
Note: Only the ProductTypeName is mandatory as the ID will be assigned upon creation. You can go back later and use the ID to update your Product Type information.
- Go back to the Product Types page, and from the Action menu, select Import Product Types.
- Drag & drop the saved template and press Import.
Assign Product Types to SKUs
- Individually – Navigate Catalog > Manage Catalog > Select a product. On the General panel, Edit > Select a Type from the dropdown menu > Save.
- In Bulk – Perform a bulk update using column header ProductTypeName where the name of the Product Type should be entered.
Note: You can use the same column header to export associated product types with Custom Export.
Product Types is a product categorization tool. Product types are created, and products can be assigned to Product Types. Products are filterable by type on the Manage Inventory page.
By default, product types are client-wide, which means a product type will be available for all companies within the client. This can be controlled by disabling the Client Setting Enable Product Types to be Client wide.
Additionally, product types can act like templates, and can store default categories for each channel. Mapping categories of different channels to a product type can help ready your products for listing to channels more quickly than selecting the categories on each channel properties’ page individually.
Product types can be used to default eBay-related attributes, such as description and shipping templates, as well as eBay Business policies.
Create or edit a product type
- To access the Product Types page, either go to Company Settings > Product Types (on top) or click the Manage tab next to the Product Type field on the Product Home page.
- Click Add New Product Type or Edit.
- Enter a type name.
- If applicable, select categories for Amazon, Buy.com, eBay, Sears, and Newegg.
- If applicable, select default eBay templates and policies.
- You can also select a Buy.com template that matches the product type. Selecting a template will allow you to create a brand new listing on Buy.com. Currently, the mapped templates are limited, so check with Sellercloud Support to see if an applicable category template can be placed on your server or be created, if necessary.
- Newegg also has templates, but they are only needed when posting listings through FTP. When using the API (recommended), templates are unnecessary.
- When product types are set as client-wide, you can still map a product type to website/Magento categories, even though those categories are company-based.
- Select a company from the dropdown at the top right. The website and/or Magento categories will appear.
- Map the product type by select a category.
- Select a another company to display its website categories, select, and save.
- Custom columns can be linked to Product Type. This will hide any unlinked custom columns from displaying on the product when that Product Type is selected. The Client Setting Filter custom columns to be per product type must be enabled. If so, the custom columns will appear on the product type page for selecting to link.
Import product types
- On the Product Types page, click Import Product Types,
- Download the template and populate with appropriate categories.
- Import the template.
Add products to product type
- Individually – On the Product Home page, click the product type (by default is set to Misc). Select the product type from the drop down and save.
- Bulk update – Use the column header ProductTypeName.